Swifty Mods

My SwiftyZERO straight out of the box works fine and kick scooting is a delight. However, I’m one of the people who just cannot stop themselves from tinkering, adding, removing, improving, occasionally making things worse. I do this with all by bicycles, my Surly Pugsley fat bike, my Surly Krampug dirt trails bike and my Surly Ogre general purpose bike. I built each of them myself and yet I still tinker with them. The same is coming true of my Swifty.

First thing to be changed were the wheels. The original set was retired and replaced with Remerx Dragon Line 719 quick release wheels bought from Swifty Scooters. This first set was for the original standard road tyres as fitted to the scooter. A second set of wheels was also purchased, this time along with a pair of the fatter Maxxis Hookworm tyres. This second wheelset was for off-road use. Puncture sealant was installed in all inner tubes.

Mudguards were next on the agenda. I bought two sets, both again from Swifty Scooters, one set suitable for the SwiftyZero and another for the SwiftyAir. The former for use with thr smaller tyred wheels and the latter for the larger Maxxix tyres. However, as I intended to swap between wheelsets, depending on whether I was going on-road or off-road, having mudguards fitted was just plain awkward and I’ve yet to decide if I’m actually going to use them at all.

For my next modificatiosn we move up to the handlebars. First task here was to fit a small bell, a £10 clone of the over-priced £50 Spurcycle bell. Next, was to remove the handlebar grips and replace them with a pair of Ergon GP1 grips, of the type favoured on all my bicycles. I find the flat surface much more confortable.

Finaly mod, at least for a while, was to mount a couple of lights on the handlebars.  For night-time cycling I use a pair of Magicshine MJ-872 1600 lumen LED lights but they have rather large battery packs and I wanted something smaller and neater for the Swifty. Again, the Internet provided the answer in the form of two Knog Blinder Road 400 lumen lights. I decided on these due to their compact design, different mode options including strobes and 8.5 hours duration on the lowest setting, which is actually more than adequate for scooting.

My next modifications will be to do with load carrying and I’ll be writing about that in the next few weeks. The brakes may also be getting some attention with potential upgrades to Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes though I’ve yet to decide if there are any benefits to doing so. Watch this space.

Copyright ©2018 Gary Buckham. All rights reserved.